Church Membership

I had a convo with a guy, yesterday, who told me he loved his Bible and he thought personal salvation was important, but he didn't think is was totally necessary to be attached to a particular church. He bemoaned the many issues and frustrations that come up, which I agreed with. I hate gossip just as much as he did...and that's one thing church people seem to be good at. As much as I could relate to what He was saying, and I could easily go through my head and list issues I have with my own church, I still told him I disagreed. As Mr.Henry preached this week (shout out to the Caribbean Baptist Heritage conference), Salvation and Church Membership have to go together. 
And I do mean signing the little paper, not just showing up every week. 


It dawned on me how similar the 'I don't need to be a member' arguement sounded to the 'I don't need to get married' arguement - I love the person. My commitment to them won't change whether or not I sign a piece paper or not, some cultures don't need that, why should I, etc. 


It is a mystery, as Paul said, that marriages are compared to Christ and His church. (Ephesians 5:32)
And though it is true that the moment you are saved, you become a part of the universal church, it is assumed, by the way Scripture speaks, that you will become attached to a local church. 
And just as, in our culture, that little piece of marriage certificate makes a world of a difference, so it is with church membership...whether you stand and proclaim it publicly or sign a little paper. You are saying 'I am a member of Christ's Church'.
Here's why it makes a difference:


1. You belong
Like Solomon's wife sang: "I am my beloved's and he is mine." You are wanted. You belong here. You are one of us. And we can love on you. 
You now have rights and responsibilities. You have the right to be taken care of more than an outsider would have that right. (A man gotta take care of his woman before he takes care of his friends) 


The church has been given a special authority to affirm someone's salvation. (Matthew 18:15-20) Anyone can claim to be a Christian. Collectively, we observe and help each other grow. We correct, we discipline. And though your salvation is an inward working by the Lord, it is outwardly affirmed by your fruit, which your church can see and help cultivate. You will have the right to be corrected. And you will also have the responsibility to correct as well. And let me tell you, things will be messy. Think about your life, and how you mess up. Think about the last good group project you had to do at UWI...ye, the 'good' probably didn't exist. Working with other people is not fun. But that's another blessing of the church (and marriage). You signed up for this, and it's gonna rub you the wrong way, helping to smooth our rough edges.


2.Church Membership shows Commitment
It says 'I am following Jesus and I'm doing this for real'. I've found the other Jesus-followers in this world that's against us and I'm standing by this life. (Baptism comes into the picture here as well, done by a local church)
As much as the couple that loves each other claim that they don't need the paper, if that guy pulls out a ring, everything changes. You see him/her differently. Others treat you differently. It becomes real. 
I am saved, I'm a part of the universal church. Becoming attached to a local church takes things to the next, necessary level.


3. Church Membership Provides Stability 
This flows on from commitment. Many winds will blow, but we need this anchor. 
My extended family has grown. My siblings and cousins I grew up with are pretty much scattered all around the world at the moment. My brother's likely on a plane to some far away continent, Dionne is in the US, Calee is on the other coast from her. Kamille is in the UK and I'm in Barbados. Daniel, David and Joanna are still in Jamaica, but they have time, lol. 
But I am an Adair. We are Adairs. We are family. I've had wonderful friends; People I have loved. But now, 3 decades of life later, my family is the one thing that has been constant. My husband is the only thing that has become more constant than them. And that's because he's now my immediate family. 
We Christians are called the family of God. We're supposed to operate like that. To be there for each other over the long haul. And even if you have to physically move, other local churches should be there to pass you on to. (I've been a member at 5 churches in 3 countries over my 3 decades of life) As a member, I've been in the 'inner circle' to see discipline take place in a Biblical way. To be taught and corrected myself and been pushed and encouraged to grow in the Lord. I've been able to give input into how the church should function, to serve and give as well. I've been annoyed then prayed for the Lord to teach me to love... And to wonder if others are saying the same prayer about me. 
But no matter what and where, I've been a part of a family that follows the Lord together. 


4. You are being obedient to Jesus.
Jesus didn't say 'make sure and join Reformed Christian Fellowship'. But Jesus did say 'go make disciples, and make sure they obey everything I taught (Matthew 28:19-20, in my words). We see that fleshed out further in the New Testament where we see various positions and gifts being given, that function only (yes only) within the context of a local church. (1 Corinthians 11-14 for example)
Yes, if you have the gift of teaching, you'll be able to understand and grow yourself. But the gift was meant for you to 'edify the church' and you won't have every gift so you will need to be edified in other ways. Let's not fall into the trap of only thinking what we can get from church. You are also meant to give.


The apostles wrote letters to local churches. God sent messages to specific churches (Revelation 1:11), using their names to deal with their own cultural contexts and needs. We are given instructions on how to worship God together, to be under authority or to lead, etc, etc, etc...If you are a Christian, that actually reads the Bible, it would be impossible for you to sit comfortably on your own while you read passages that have a context for a church in the New Testament and see God's people treated as a collective in the Old Testament. We were made to be in community. We were made unique and dependent. We were never made to function alone. 

I'm sure there's more to say, and objections to be presented. But here's a start, if you are not attached. Give it a thought, but more prayer and Bible Study. If it means taking a year to visit various places and look into their doctrines and practices (do you do what you say?), do that but don't write off every church because there are some that are not yet Biblical (Not yet - Jesus will work and change His true church. Not everything right away. But He will. It is His bride.) 
Maybe you are the one the Lord will use to help grow His church. Maybe your gift is the one that's needed. We need you. You need us. 

Come Matter Here.  Bird.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Non-Homeschooler

2023 and I'm Still Here