He liked it, so he put a ring on it :)

On September 12, 2010, Mario King asked me to spend the rest of my life with him, and I said yes.
I’m often asked how I feel now that I’m engaged. From the look on their faces, they expect me to be overwhelmed with excitement and expectancy. On the contrary, I understood Mario’s proposition to enter a courtship in 2007 to be a proposition for marriage. My mind was blown away then. I questioned to myself if he understood that he was asking me to spend the rest of my life with him! I still question if he knew what he was asking then. Lol.
What’s wonderfully different now is that we’re no longer alone in this journey towards marriage. My family and friends can now formally support us. Their congratulations and prayers have overwhelmed me. I didn’t know that so many people cared about us and in some cases were happy that we were finally making this move.
And it’s also nice to see how Mario’s responding so much more now that the reality of ‘US’ is a lot more real. :)

I’ve been ‘planning’ my wedding for a while now (i.e. long before any specific man was in the picture); Just making small jottings here and there when I saw something cute, but nothing serious. Now that a wedding is really imminent, planning has taken a different turn. I enjoyed it thoroughly at first. But now I’m starting to be a little ‘over-holy’, as my mother puts it. What was that wedding in Cana like? The one that Jesus went to? Did they have to pay $50,000 to use the venue, then have another $2000 per head for the meal for each guest present then an additional $100,000 to decorate the place? Did they pay $900US for photography and $15,000 for the cake? Would I ever in my wildest dreams work hard and accept donations to give half a million dollars to a ministry project? If a wedding is really about celebrating two lives being joined, then my family and friends will want to come and celebrate with me, whether they have a meal afterwards or not. No one will negatively comment on my dress or the weather or the fact that the buffet line was moving too slowly.
What have weddings become? I don’t want to have a wedding as they are now. I don’t want my wedding to be compared to someone else’s. I just want me and my groom to share an important step with those whom we love and those that love us.
And I have just 6 months to solve this dilemma. But either way, Jesus will be at my wedding and I’m sure He’ll ensure that the wine doesn’t run out.
VM

Comments

  1. MADDDD..Love the ending...I appreciate this Leecs.. we r similar in so many ways..Birds of a feather really do flock together.. Keep me posted and we ur frenz/fam will do what we can to help out over the nex 6 months

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Aleeca.. totally loving this blog......I agree 100% with you. we have allowed the world to dictate to us for too long................Your union is the most important thing and all invited should count it a privilege to be part of that moment . May God give you both courage to dare to be different... bringing glory and honor only to the one who will join you together.Wisdom, respect and courage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 900US for photography?!?! (It's taking a lot to get over that.

    But you know, at the end of the day it's our wedding and your marriage. So the choice is now what do you work on, something that belongs to you or something that we share with you?

    I do wonder though, WOULD you work hard at raising $0.5mil for a ministry?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the encouragement and support guys.
    @ ME - OUR wedding. :) Maybe I shud reconsider if I would raise dat kinda money for God. Maybe I should use it as a challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this one Aleeca, we are in the same boat. As you plan, remember everything you are doing is for the glory of God only, and as you continue to focus on God only, you will see guests as an important - but secondary "ingredient" to the whole she-bang. As you pray, you will be guided in terms of how to plan and execute this wedding.

    I like where your head is at girl!

    Chan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was really NICE! I LOVE it!!.. ..HONESTLY the price for renting a venues and paying per person for food is no joke. But the Good lord will lead you in that direction seek him cz @ the end of the ceremony etc. u n ur future husband don't wat to be in debt financially..your tru friends shud understand..your budget, because at the end of the day only those who matter will understand ( i hope) Continue to Seek God and He surely will direct you..Personally reading this has enligten me of my plans and my budget. I hope all works our for you.I wish you all the best... & may God bless you & ur future family.:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww that's wonderful and I agree with you 100% about the wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on your engagement,praying for a blissful marriage:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Non-Homeschooler

Church Membership

2023 and I'm Still Here