But I don’t wanna be Amish!

Mario and I (me and Mario, Mario and me…whatever) were listening to a Voddie Baucham sermon this morning. (Check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R20mCvTT8Wc#t=2806). There were a few places where I had to pause it to properly think through what he was suggesting.
I’ve been accused of taking things too seriously, but I don’t know know what else to do when I hear someone say something I agree with, but something that I am not currently doing.

So Voddie is talking about not being conformed to the Spirit of this age. Please take a listen, because there’d be too much to say if I went into it. He touches on wanting ‘signs’ or ‘feeling at peace’ about something to decide that it is from God. (it is over an hour long, but he makes excellent points from the very beginning. You’ll want to hear more, and it does’t feel so long after all)
He mentioned the movie ‘Oceans 11’ in one of his examples and it really struck me. I love that movie! I enjoyed watching the geniuses at work. It was very entertaining and I watched 12 and 13 when they came out too.
The fact, though, that I didn’t see before today was this: I was enjoying watching thieves steal. I was enjoying watching sin. I was entertained by sin. Fine, I will admit that. Ok. But my poor mind (thank the Holy Spirit) wasn’t Ok when I realised it. What does this mean? Am I supposed to stop watching movies now? Cause what movie doesn’t have sin in it? I don’t want to be Amish! So I thought some more.

This was more than just a movie containing sin, this movie celebrated it. I enjoy the BBC ‘Sherlock’ Series. It is a detective show, so of course there’s sin in it. But the ‘sins’ are pointed out as wrong, since Sherlock is going about bringing the criminals to justice, etc. It was a relief to know that I didn’t have to go back to my grandmother’s days of thinking that going to the cinema was wrong (and my children won’t think me crazy). But if I am serious, I’ve been presented with information that I must act on.
This goes beyond saying no to ‘R’ rated movies. Now I’ve got to examine story lines and messages (which automatically cuts out most of the Disney movies!). If I’m serious about keeping my mind from accepting sinful things as no big deal, then I’ve got to put more thought into everything that I do. But how many other areas in my life will I have to examine and change now? This could get annoying…this ‘counting the cost’ stuff. Will I home school my children to ensure they are not taught lies? Will I start wearing turtle necks to be modest? Will I become vegan to care for my temple? Maybe I could plant a little garden and buy a cow. Yup, definitely Amish, lol.
I’m not of this world, but being in this world, sometimes I forget. Then it’s kicking and screaming to become separate again. But I have no other choice. I am not in charge and I want to please my Master.

I’ve gotta pray more and never take anything at face value. I am a little too good at being critical sometimes. So the sermon was a reminder, this morning, to continue. Continue to question. Continue to remember that ‘normal’ isn’t necessarily Ok. And that even if I don’t drive a buggy, living as Christ says will probably make me look kinda Amish after all.
VM. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Non-Homeschooler

Church Membership

2023 and I'm Still Here