In the Spirit of Kathleen

Sometimes it feels like the Women that are celebrated (even on days like international women's Day) are the ones that do a 'man's job'; things traditionally done by men. But the jobs that were traditionally done by women are treated like things that are holding us back from truly being successful. 

My grandmother died this morning. My husband was commissioned to be the National Director of IS/IVCF Barbados this morning. My job is to be like my grandmother in supporting my husband's new role. I won't be given any medals for doing it. Not here on earth anyways. And even though I know this is a noble job, a most important one, my flesh does still think of success in a primitive way (read "pay cheque"). But aren't we all just tools in our Maker's hands? Aren't we simply hammers to be taken up to build whatever God wants. Why should I expect a hammer to be celebrated. I want my heart to understand that, and to be grateful for being used at all.

Desmond Rogers, Regional Secretary of CARIFES, givng Mario a charge as he takes on the role of National Director of IS/IVCF Barbados. 

So what I pray for, today, is to have the Spirit of my Grandma, as Elisha asked for a double dose of Elijah's Spirit. 
Grandma never worked outside the home, but she sure worked hard in dedicating her life to taking care of her husband, children and grandchildren too when we came into the picture. I never asked her how she felt about her job, but I can't imagine her complaining. Nor do I imagine her thinking her life was of any less significance compared to someone working a traditional 9-5 job. 

I remember Butts and her baking. I knew John 3:14-21 and Isaiah 55's 'Seek Ye the Lord' because she taught me. I had her words of wisdom and comfort through important milestones in my life. She wanted me to be modest on my wedding day (I hope my veil covered my shoulders sufficiently) and I only bothered with UWI's graduation ceremony for her. She never said these things in a way that I would feel manipulated or forced, but she made me aware of her thoughts, then left it there. Family was important to her. And she was important to us. 

All of Kathleen's children and grandchildren are walking with the Lord, and her great-grands are following in those footsteps too. If I can have nothing else, that's all I want. But if I can get the icing too, then I want to be a help-meet like her, and have that longing to be with my Saviour someday.
Me and Mario with Grandma and Grandpa in 2012

Grandma with her children and grandchildren in 2015

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Non-Homeschooler

Church Membership

2023 and I'm Still Here