A Simple Solution

We're often encouraged to think big, or to not limit our dreams. Aim for the sky!
But sometimes we think too big.
I walk pass the homeless beggar by the bus stop and think to myself that I'm gonna work hard now so that someday I can build a facility where people like him can rest for a while and have a warm meal. I think of getting my church on board, and having big name sponsors. Great, grand wonderful plans they are, but all the while I have not considering that I have a pack of salt bread in my grocery bag that I could hand to him right now.
I was reading the beginning of Luke (from my Jameikan Nyuu Testiment, on my way to reading it through from cover to cover. I know...I have a loooong way to go). Luuk 2:20 says:
"Di shepad dem go bak tu dem shiip a priez Gad fi all we dem ier an si, kaaz evriting dem did si an ier a jos laik oy di ienjel did tel dem."

What struck me, or didn't I should say, was that the Shepherds went back to their sheep. That's it? They just witnessed angels making a whole lot of noise and excitement about this baby, then they get to see Jesus themselves! God on earth! What do they do? Start a mega church ministry and spread the good news? Maybe sell little pieces of swaddling cloth on the side? But no! To my eyes, they do absolutely nothing. They go back to their sheep.
I keep reading, and it happens over and over again. With Simiyan (Simeon in English), and with Ana (JNT spelling again), and even with Mieri, Jiizas' mother. They just live pretty normal lives. Even Jesus has a hug gap in the recording of his life. Nothing of note to write?
I got to Chapter 3 with John the Baptist, and honestly, it's no different. He has a message, and he gives that message. The tax collector in v12 asks for the secret of this new way to live. John tells them to only take the tax they're supposed to take. The end. Nothing special. In that same chapter, how many names do you recognise in Jesus' genealogy? Just a few. 

There's a popular song that says 'I wanna be more than an ordinary servant'. But why? Why do we need to be more? Could it really be pride that's coming up in us that we can't just be an obedient, boring shepherd? Or a praying widow? Even if we're 'more' like John the baptist, it seems our message should be "He must become greater; I must become less!" (John 3:30)

I have a desire to be more. I know it is because I don't place enough value on what I do now as a wife and mother. I also know it is because I haven't put enough effort into obeying the commands already spread before me in Scripture. Cause if I did, then I'd be so busy, too busy to do more.

So what's the simple solution? Live a 'normal, holy' life. Read your Bible and do what it says that day. Give the beggar what he asks for (Luke 6:30) and don't think so much about what he'll do with the money. Do everything without grumbling or complaining. (Phil 2:14). Be ready to give an answer to anyone that asks about that Hope you have as a Christian (1 Peter 3:15). Don't lock shop! (1 Cor 7:5). Make disciples (Matthew 28:19-20) and stop hanging out with only salt. Rest! (Matt 11:28-30) I could go on and on. Do everything as if you were doing it for God (Col 3:23)

The truth, though, is that simple obedience is not easy. The basic Christianity says to die to yourself. But having to forgo that extra slice of cheesecake, or to talk to that annoying person! (And we haven't even gotten to talking about enemies yet!) It may take blood sweat and tears to be this living sacrifice.
But we could all do with a break from trying to create 'World Peace' and just get back to the basics.
Bird

(Written June 6, 2013)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Non-Homeschooler

Church Membership

2023 and I'm Still Here