Sunday at Green Chimneys

I get to go in late, at 8 instead of 7:30. The day starts with the regular chores of feeding all the animals then on to the daily chores of cleaning. But on Sundays, I get to take an hour off from 10am-11am to go to the 'religious' service. They think it's important for people to 'practice' their religion, so they were more than accommodating for me to take the hour out of my regular schedule. I didn't bother to explain that my 'religion' is 'practiced' 24/7.
The service is really just a non-denominational christian gathering. We sing a couple songs, contemporary stuff, then we pray around the room for those that want to then there's a Bible story. (And we get snacks at the end!)It's kinda kool watching those kids sing and praise the Lord. I wonder how much the Lord is involved in other parts of their lives.
After church, I head back to work - more chores, but I pick up kids too for learn and earns. It's kool working with/around the animals. Just being there is therapeutic. The kids have the attention of an adult all to themselves, and they have the calming sounds of a sheep's baa near by. And the work is kool when U're doing it for Java the Llama :)
Then there's lunch. We normally go to the dining hall with everyone else, but David Hall aka the best hall in the world, had a BBQ, so us interns went there for lunch. Was some good food, and always a good time with the boys. The staff are great as well. I feel so comfortable and welcomed, and that's kinda special considering the kind of facility David Hall is. This is supposed to be the highest level of psychiatric care, as in, the kids need the most help. But there's nobody throwing things or going crazy. This place really helps them. I feel better being there too.
After lunch I pick up more learn and earns and the chores continue. One of my learn and earns was my best friend on David Hall. He gave my flowers today, and wrote me a goodbye letter. I'll keep it forever. He's taught me what real friendship is; Unadulterated friendship. I need to treat more of my friends without judgement and have just the raw pleasure of having the listening ear of another human being. Having a mutual respect, and knowing there's always gonna be someone that's looking forward to see you, but with no expectations.
So David Hall's lunch was Burgers and Hot Dogs, but the BBQ continued to dinner where they had steak. So of course I went back. Lol. Was also doing the plastic lace designs thingy. Then I went home. :)
Interspersed throughout the day are the calls from the kids saying hello and giving you a hug, or taking up a bunny or rubbing a pig's belly. How awesome is this? :)
The Lord's doings are marvelous. I don't know what I'll do with this experience, but I'm soaking it all in.
One day I'll tell you what Monday is like at Green Chimneys.
VM.

Comments

  1. Wow..insightful into what u been up to - like the descriptive writing..feel like I am there..

    Chick

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Non-Homeschooler

Church Membership

2023 and I'm Still Here