9 to 5: What A Way To Make A Living!

For the past 2 weeks, I’ve been doing a very important job; a job that every branch around the world needs more people doing; a job that many a missionary has to abandon their assignment to fill in for. And this job is the least glamorous of all. This job has very few photo ops. This is the job that the missionaries that choose to remain at home do, and that people do not regard as missionary work. (And so, they get very little support in this very important role).

For the past 2 weeks, I’ve been working in administration.

It’s the driving force behind everything else. It’s pretty much like any other 9-5, except, at the end of the month, you don’t get a salary. You get a great reward in heaven. It is not my job to convince anyone of how important this role is. But I sure am convinced!

There’s the guy here that’s my age, and he’s in accounting. He sits at a desk around the computer and does the books and manages our accounts and also functions as cashier. He’s doing it alone, and it is very frustrating at times. It’s probably not much different from being an accountant in the Caribbean, expect the heat is unbearable, he can’t take a stroll on the road without people staring at him, he doesn’t fit into the culture and is not understood. And he occasionally gets sick from any of a variety of exotic diseases. Lol. He’s far away from friends and family and normal technology a guy his age would be accustomed to. He is on the Missions field. He is a missionary. So is the lady in accounting in Jamaica. She could have a glamorous job in a bank, and be rolling deep by now...but she’s chosen to be a missionary. I think her job is hardest, because less people understand.

It’s one thing to choose this life and have people excited and praying with you and wanting to hear your stories. It’s quite another when people ask for prayer requests, and well...things are just normal, everyday stuff. Y don’t we ask people that work ‘normal’ jobs in Jamaica for prayer requests? Or students? Y do we feel that God’s work is not being a teacher in a high school or being a security guard?

For the past 2 weeks, I’ve still been a missionary. I’ve known what it is to be bored out of my mind. I’ve also know what it is like to watch your colleagues drive away to the bush to more ‘traditional’ missionary work. I’ve been a ‘city’ missionary. I’ve been to a French Patisserie for breakfast and to a local swimming pool...the temperatures have reached into the 40s and this is just the beginning. I hear it goes into the 60s! And yes, degrees celcius. Maybe hearing that I went to a swimming pool makes me less of a missionary. The stories of attack by wild animals and eating locusts are what people want to hear. They don’t want to hear the truth. The ‘scary’ stories of difficult times surviving is what may keep people away from the missions field. How about you keep your old job, just in a different country? Even just for a year. We really do need you.

VM.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Non-Homeschooler

Church Membership

2023 and I'm Still Here