Here Is My Family

Last week was Spiritual Retreat. For missionaries working in remote areas, it may be the only time for the year that they get to gather together with other believers and get solid teaching from God’s Word. We had an excellent speaker from Germany for the week. She caused me to do a lot of soul searching. It’s easy to stop there...to just think about it and say it was good. But it hurt deeply to have to actually do something about it; to really pour out my heart before God and dig up wounds so that they can now be healed. It’s almost like camp where U get that Spiritual renewal, but this was on another level because of 3 minute sharing.

3 min sharing is where each missionary has to go up and share anything they want to about their work, or challenges from the year before, or challenges to come. We then gather around the individual and pray for them. I think if you really want to know the life and breath of Missions, go to 3min sharing. There were stories of people wanting to hear about the Bible or people wanting prayer in secret, to do that in open would guarantee persecution. Or the stories of people deeply concerned about their aging parents so far away. One missionary even has to leave suddenly next week for that same reason. Many were in my boat: Uncertain about the future and just waiting on the Lord; the long, tortuous process of gaining His view...what do you say to people that ask what you’re doing next? How long will the wait be? What do you do till you know? It’s not nice looking into a void. But I do have a High Priest in Jesus, who I can trust to lead me on His path. And His path is filled with many good things, along with suffering.

The week started with a 20th Anniversary Celebration of the work in Chad. (We all had to wear the exact same material, which is Chadian custom). It ended with a fun night and farewell to a faithful woman going on retirement. It must be odd going to live in your ‘home country’, but that country is a foreign place to you. All her friends are here as well. I really pray that she will find good rest, but also good fellowship.

Yesterday for Valentines, I got a lollipop with a heart shaped cartridge paper cut out at the base from 2 missionary kids. It was so sweet and thoughtful. In such a short time, I’ve been forging simple friendships with all ages. Most people are heading back out to their villages this week. There’s that possibility that I’ll never see some of them again. I’ve gotten a taste of heaven. Getting to meet my brothers and sisters from all over the world. Oh, what joy! I will miss this.

VM.

Comments

  1. I have read all your blogs up to this point and I must say how delightful to see what God is doing with you. Indeed it is a journey with Him and I am so glad you have been able to share these insights along with the experiences.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Non-Homeschooler

Church Membership

2023 and I'm Still Here